Pages

Being Together!

Being Together!
All of us!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Shine

I got a letter in the mail last week informing me that the publisher I had sent my manuscript to, was not interested in pursuing it.  For a minute I was hurt and sad, almost offended.  Then I realized that to my knowledge, I don't know anyone who has ever received such a letter.   I have decided to look at it as proof that I am putting myself out there, going after the life I want and taking the risks to get there.  When my posterity see and read that letter, yes I am putting it in my book of remembrance, they will know that I tried and hopefully it will be there beside the acceptance letter and my published book! But even if I am never published, I will have the experience of trying.  That is exciting!
This thing we call living, can be really scary sometimes.  Putting ourselves out there in front of others is scary business, but I am sure that it is worth it.  At least that is what I have been told!  Maybe this fear is why I get so many questions and funny looks about turning off the T.V.  When we go against the norm it makes others nervous, it reminds them that there is another way.  It puts a mirror up and sometimes people don't like to see that things could be different if they put the effort in.  I know I find it hard and sometimes down right terrifying.
I love the quote that Nelson Mandela used in one of his speeches, it is actually by Marianne Williamson...
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates other" ~by Marianne Williamson~
This is one of my favorite quotes.  I guess there are those that don't want the "permission to do the same".  Until there eyes adjust, the shine might be too bright to look at.  That does not mean that we should hide our light. 
Soooo, I am going to tweak my manuscript and submit it to other publishers, I am going to take a look at my list of goals and I am going to begin, again, to try to accomplish some of them.  I am going after my dreams, I am going to try to make my light a bit brighter everyday! Maybe if you do the same, together we will be able to live the lives we were sent here to live, accomplishing those things that will bring us true joy and happiness!
...I hope you will have a brighter day today, I plan to!

2 comments:

  1. As a tenth grader, Micheal Jordan was cut from his high school varsity basketball team. But this only pushed him to work harder at perfecting his game. As he later said on his Web site, "I think that not making the Varsity team drove me to really work at my game, and also taught me that if you set goals, and work hard to achieve them-the hard work can pay off."

    As I was reading your post I too was disappointed to hear about the response you got from the publisher. This is mostly because I already know how talented and gifted you are. Rejection pretty much sucks...haha. But just because one person is not interested does not mean that your work is not good. I know you know this. When you stated that you didn't think you know anyone who received such a letter I thought about how many times in most person's lives we get 'the letter'. Whether it's not passing your international nursing exam ;) and feeling absolutely inadequate or not making the cut of your high school team. It doesn't make you a bad nurse or basketball player, it just reminds you that things are not in our control.Just because one person does not recognize our gifts does not mean that a million other people won't. The Jenn I know is super gifted and helps others realize their potential by putting herself out there. I love you hun and hope you continue to try and get your work out there because as you do more people will see how talented you are and hopefully one day people from all over will be able to go out and buy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, you are so good to me! Thank you so much for your kind words they mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete