Pages

Being Together!

Being Together!
All of us!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Soapbox




A food fight? For Real?
The purpose of this blog is definatly Not to lecture or provoke guilt in anyone, but I am going to write a few thoughts and then be done with it!
It has been interesting to hear so many people say that they just couldn't do this challenge and that our family is so brave!  I don't get it.  Have you seen some, dare I say most, of the stuff on T.V today?  It is pretty scary!  But I do Not believe that all T.V is evil, that is not why we are taking this challenge!  I am just tired of my family all being so sucked in.  We become zombies when the T.V is on and the influence is felt for so long afterward.  Nathan can quote parts from a movie he saw once, 5 years ago! If only he could remember his multiplication facts as well!
I watch this generation so wired, so plugged in and it scares me.  Kids texting each other and they are in the same room!  (Don't get me started on that topic!)  Ear phones always in ears, i-pods and cell phones always in reach.  The technology that is available is incredible. Please don't misunderstand me.  Technology is important and when used well, it is amazing wonderful stuff!
I guess what scares me the most is how dependent we are on it.  If you don't think you can turn off the T.V for a year, start with a month, a week, a day, even just an evening.  What do you have to lose?  A funny joke to tell a friend tomorrow?  Being out of the loop when everyone is talking about the latest episode of a favorite show?  What if you were able to tell of the great new game you played with your family, or about the walk you took to the park.  The beauty you saw out your own window instead of on the tube!  I can Not believe the change that has occurred in our home in the last 13 days!  Mackenzie has started a quilt, written a four page story, learned how to use the washer and dryer, just about finished reading a great novel and been more involved on our family web site. 
And Supper is served!
Nathan has created 2 wooden swords, worked on his dart game, played with his brother more, is reading a novel, has cooked us supper- seafood is his specialty!, and has gotten outside. 
Jacob, who is likely the one in the house who watched the most T.V is benefiting so much!  He is ten and has cerebral palsy.  And I admit that I have been known to put him in front of a movie because it is easier then having to entertain him and I can get something done!  He has been playing on the floor more, helping out with chores, painting pictures, has  begun to bond with his older brother and been outside so much more.  His appetite is better, he is happier and he adds so much to the interactions that go on in our home.  He may not talk, but he sure lets us know when something is funny or if he doesn't like what is going on!
 

Snow Shoeing with the family
As a family, we are laughing more, talking more, playing more, getting outside more, exercising more, and building better memories than what happened on the latest T.V program.  That is why I am so excited about 2011. And if you are saying "my kids will never go for it", how do you know if you don't give them the chance? Put it out there and put it out there again. Then lead the way! Pull out the chess board or the Sorry game, make a great snack and invite them to join you! Get your boots on and head outside and ask them to come along!  Get a great book from the library and read it out loud, even while the X box is being played!! 
Okay I will get off my soap box now.  I hope I have not offended or caused any guilt.  I am just so stoked about the possibilities that this can and will provide that I have to share.

As Our dear friend, (actually he doesn't even know us, but his influence is felt in our home) John Bytheway says "Turn off the T.V and get a LIFE!!"
You will never know what can happen unless you try!  Good Luck!
(I will try my very best not to lecture anymore!!!)


2 comments:

  1. You are so cool! I'm sure you will be an inspiration to us all. It sure looks like you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! We ARE having fun! I love it!

    ReplyDelete